Sunday, October 28, 2012

Experiments

This is a throwaway shot. Really. Other than this blog entry, it's highly likely this photo will cease to exist in my library. In fact, this blog entry is primarily a tool for me to track my own progress as a photographer.

This morning's outing was about experimenting. I set two limits on myself. One: Shoot at 50mm. Two: Play with flash.

Before leaving the house, I set the focal length to 50mm on my 18-70mm lens and promised not to touch it. Then grabbed my flash and walked the neighborhood. I didn't take many photographs - I am still struggling with what makes an interesting subject when not shooting a landscape. I settled on a garden area.

Shooting at 50mm forced me to use my feet to zoom, and in most cases necessitated getting closer to the subject. General goodness. For the flash, I brought an orange diffuser. The idea was to use the flash to simulate the early morning orange rays of the sun. In practice, that didn't work out very well, although I still think there's a sound idea in there. The above shot is without the flash. I definitely need more time working with my flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment