Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mount Soledad

I've been to Mount Soledad many times, sometimes with my camera, sometimes not. It gives a great vantage of San Diego and a popular spot for sunsets. At sunrise...it's a lot quieter. The weather reports called for partly to mostly cloudy skies - I was hoping for partly. My mind's eye could already see brilliant reds and oranges as sunbeams about the breaks in the clouds.

Partly cloudy turned to mostly cloudy in short order, the sky becoming a amorphous gray mass. The only color splashes I was getting were from antennae in the distance. With the skies not cooperating, I shifted focus to the omnipresent cross. It will - as it does for most visitors - be the foreground anchor for my photo.

The cross has been a source of controversy since the late 1980s - and based on court rulings in 2012, it  may not be there much longer. While not significant to me personally as a religious icon, it's certainly been a long-standing landmark of San Diego. And for that, I'm glad I've got one capture of it to call my own.


Mount Soledad Cross


No comments:

Post a Comment