Sunday, June 17, 2012

La Jolla Cove

My outings the last two weeks have been disappointing. I can't control Mother Nature, but I can control  solid prep work and choosing my location. Today I hedge bets and go to the ocean. Whether the sun breaks or the marine layer holds fast, I'll walk away with something good.

It's about 5am and I'm precariously perched on some very slippery rocks. It took me 10 minutes to cover about 50 feet of ground. I've nearly fallen three times. The low light makes the journey that much more challenging.  Small crabs scurry across the rocks, no doubt laughing their claws off at the gangly human. At least I checked the tide schedule last night - this would be far worse at high tide.

Find a spot, carefully position the tripod amongst the rocks. It's loud. Seagulls cackle, circling the skies. And the sea lions are out in full force this morning. Several swim back and forth across the cove. One is on top of a large rock to camera left, nonchalantly watching me as I realize how inadequate my mediocre tripod is for this situation.

I'm not going to get a bright sunrise today. But that's fine. There's tide pools, sandstone cliffs,  and a gentle rolling surf. La Jolla Cove rarely disappoints. A great start to Father's Day.

La Jolla Cove

No comments:

Post a Comment