Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hernandez' Hideaway

I got to catch up with a good friend a couple of weeks ago. He used to live in San Diego - someday we'll get him back. One of the places he reminisced about was Hernandez' Hideaway. I'd not heard of the place before. From what I understand, the founder lays claim to having invented the Margarita. I'm not a drinker, but from I've since read on Yelp and other review sites that their margarita is good and strong - and the main draw for the place.

This morning I headed toward then northern "tip" of Lake Hogdes - if the lake has a tip...ok, it's got lots of tips. The last few mornings, the sun raged a gorgeous orange as it burned away the morning mist and cloud cover. In my mind's eye, I could see this fiery ball hanging over the lake, veiled in a thinning mist, casting some orange reflections in the water. I'm getting more diligent on scouting locations before heading out, and last night I found a suitable spot on the lake shore, with a small dock that would provide foreground interest in the frame. But today, the morning was different than the last few. Thicker cloud cover, no glowing sun. Such is life.

To Plan B! Which is to say, looking to salvage the outing, I scrounged around for a subject to shoot. Recalling the aforementioned dinner, I drove a short distance down Lake Drive to Hernandez's Hideaway. On one side of the restaurant, there's a painted mural. I liked that more than the front of the place - and with next to no sunlight, the covered walkway in front was really dark. Compose, shoot, process.

Hernandez' Hideaway, Escondido

No comments:

Post a Comment